Homework in Year 1 is to practise skills taught in the classroom. This can be done by logging onto Busy Things, choosing 'Favourites' and playing any of the games shown. These are updated once new content has been taught.
A tricky word mat has been provided on this page for you to help your child learn to read and write the words. This can be done in many ways such as writing them into made-up sentences, a spelling quiz, spotting them when you are out and about or printing it out to stick on the fridge and focus on a few words for a few weeks!
All children need to visit the handwriting website by clicking the link provided on this page. Children need to be able to form letters and numbers from the correct starting point. Please show your child how to form the letters/numbers if they are finding it tricky. Please cover all capital and lowercase letters as well as numbers until your child can form these correctly.
Targets for English:
- Read and write tricky words
- Form capital letters and lowercase letters correctly
- Think of own ideas for a picture and write sentences with adjectives
- Remember word order when writing sentences
- Know when to use a capital letter and where to put a full stop
- Use 'and' to join 2 sentences together
- Use 'but' and 'because' to join sentences together
- Begin to write questions using question words and a question mark
Targets for Maths:
- Continue to add and subtract numbers up to 20, e.g. 14 - 5 or 8 + 9
- Be able to represent numbers through drawings (tens and ones)
- Count in 10s to 50
- Read any number up to 50
- Identify 1 more and 1 less than a number up to 50
- Be able to partition numbers up to 50 in tens and ones
Recapping learning from other areas of the Curriculum:
These can be completed at home through various ways such as photos, writing, drawings, posters and then brought into school to share which we can then keep and create a display in our classroom. Presentation and handwriting must be neat.
- Find 2 things at home and measure them using our rules of lining them up fairly and seeing which is longer/shorter
- Measure things around the home to the nearest cm using a ruler
Identify 2D and 3D shapes in the local environment
- Identify and explain signs of Spring
- Identify different materials and be able to explain some of their properties
- Draw different types of lines to create a picture or piece of artwork
- Find facts about Oceans
- Practise writing letters using Dear and From
- Practise writing a set of instructions to make something
- Practise writing a diary about your day using Dear Diary and then your name at the end