Design and Technology encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems both as individuals and as members of a team. They are taught to look for opportunities and to respond to them by developing a range of ideas and making a range of products. The children are also given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present design technology, its uses and effectiveness and are encouraged to become innovators.
The aims of Design & Technology are:
- To develop children’s designing and making skills.
- To teach children the knowledge and understanding, within each child’s ability, that will be required to complete the making of their product.
- To teach children the safe and effective use of a range of tools, materials and components.
- To develop children’s understanding of the ways in which people have designed products in the past and present to meet their needs.
- To develop children’s creativity and innovation through designing and making.
- To develop children’s understanding of technological processes, their management and their contribution to society.