Design and Technology encourages children to learn, think and creatively solve problems both as individuals and as members of a team. Pupils are taught to look for opportunities and to respond by developing a range of ideas. Pupils are encouraged to plan and produce high quality products. Pupils are also given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present products.
The aims of Design & Technology are:
- To develop children’s designing and making skills.
- To teach children the knowledge and understanding, within each child’s ability, that will be required to complete the making of their product.
- To teach children the safe and effective use of a range of tools, materials and components.
- To develop children’s understanding of the ways in which people have designed products in the past and present to meet their needs.
- To develop children’s creativity and innovation through designing and making.
- To develop children’s understanding of technological processes, their management and their contribution to society.